The Canary Islands will limit the number of holiday homes in the municipalities to 10%

The Canary Islands will limit the number of holiday homes in the municipalities to 10%

[ad_1]

The Tourism Department of the Government of the Canary Islands has announced that the 88 municipalities of the islands must reserve in their respective urban planning 90% of its buildable area for residential homes, leaving a maximum quota of 10% for tourist use, accommodation in homes and other economic activities., according to the Draft Law on sustainable management of tourist use of housing prepared by the Ministry itself. In the case of the green islands (La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro), the limit quota for holiday homes will be 20%.

The head of the Tourism area, Jessica de León, mentioned that as of March, the Canary Islands have 54,282 vacation homes, which is equal to 222,014 beds, 37% of the accommodation offer. This total number of places is comparable to the total sum of the population of the islands of Fuerteventura and La Palma and it is even higher than the total sum of the populations of Lanzarote, La Gomera and El Hierro combined and exceeds 9% in relation to the total population of the islands.

At the same time, he pointed out that replacing all those homes intended for tourist use for permanent residential use and at an average construction rate of 3,000 homes per year would be needed. almost 18 years, apart from the additional number of homes that growth requires each year. Furthermore, it would be necessary 500 hectares of developable land to achieve that end.

In the same sense, he pointed out that the 25% growth of homes intended for tourist use in a single year, compared to the number of homes built annually, would reflect a increase of almost 7,000 homes per year that would counteract housing deficit intended for permanent residential use as a habitual residence.

One of the stellar measures of this Draft will put limits to anyone who wants to change the residential use of their home to dedicate themselves to vacation rentals. Firstly, from the entry into force of the regulations, you will have to wait a period of 10 years to make that transition, accredited through the declaration of new construction, first occupation license, declaration of consolidated use or any other legally valid means. It should be remembered that until now, there was no limitation for this change of use.

In the same way, if a zone residential market will be classified as stressedthis would imply the automatic suspension of the authorization of new holiday homes as long as such declaration remains in force.

Responsible declaration

After a period of time in which prior authorization was necessary to access the vacation rental, the Preliminary Project records in this regard that it will only be necessary after the law comes into effect. electronic processing of the responsible declaration. This permit will be valid for five years, with the possibility of renewal for the same duration through a new simplified responsible declaration, if it is verified that there has not been any type of change in planning or regulations that prevents continuing with the activity as it was being carried out.

This modality is intended to facilitate the relationship of citizens with the administrationin the same way that communication between hosts and platforms is almost exclusively digital, in such a way that it is about normalizing this electronic relationship also with the administration and, at the same time, favoring verification, inspection and notification actions by of the administrations.

In this way, the Government intends to establish the appropriate mechanism to avoid concurrence of several responsible declarations on the same propertywhich would seriously affect the legal certainty and consumer protection.

[ad_2]

Source link